In each Program Activity record, PEARS can automatically calculate the total participants and demographics for the program based on data reported in sites, surveys, or ES-237 data. Instructions for auto calculating demographics in different reporting scenarios are outlined below. Click on a link to jump to a specific section:
Auto Calculate Demographics from Site, Survey, or ES-237 Data
- From the PEARS homepage, hover the cursor over the Track menu and click Program Activities:
- The Program Activities list displays. Select a Program Activity to edit.
The Program Activity details display. Click Demographics:
- The demographics page displays:
If Demographic data is recorded through Site data, Surveys, or ES-237 Custom Data, you may Auto Calculate demographics following the steps below. Otherwise, follow the instructions linked here to report demographics manually: Add Demographic Information to a Program Activity.
- Click Auto Calculate to compute demographics.
- If the Program Activity includes multiple types of data that could be used to calculate demographics, select a data source.
- A confirmation message appears. Click Yes, and PEARS will calculate demographics, based on the type of data selected:
Enter the total participants. To calculate demographics, the total is multiplied by percentages assigned to each demographic category.
Total Participants recorded = 200
Site demographics include:
– Hispanic/Latino: 40%
– Non-Hispanic/Latino: 60%
The following demographic totals would be calculated:
– Hispanic/Latino: 80
(200 * .4 = 80)
– Non-Hispanic/Latino: 120
(200 * .6 = 120)
To calculate demographics, data collected in attached surveys is totaled. Demographic questions with no responses are counted in the Unknown field, when applicable.
If a survey includes a question that can collect ethnicity data, the number of responses for each answer choice is added:
The sum of each choice is displayed on the demographics form.
c. ES-237 Custom Data
To calculate demographics, data collected in the ES-237 Custom Data section is totaled. Data from the Gender and Race & Ethnicity tables is included.
Auto Calculate Demographics from Multiple Surveys
Demographic data for a program may be collected in multiple surveys. For example, if participants speak multiple languages, a separate survey may be distributed for each language. If needed, the auto calculate feature can combine data from multiple surveys.
- Follow steps 1-4 listed above. Once the Auto Calculate button is clicked, a window appears:
- Select one of the available surveys from the drop-down list.
- Click Yes.
- The Program Activity Demographics page is updated with data from the selected survey.
- Click Auto Calculate.
- Select the second survey.
- Check the box “I would like to add new demographic data to existing demographic values instead of replacing them.“
- Click Yes.
- The Program Activity Demographics page is updated with data from the selected survey. Data from both surveys is now listed.
- Click Save and Continue to save the page and move to the next section or click Save to save progress and view the record details.